Spring is here, the bulbs are beginning to blossom, and it is time to celebrate Easter and the amazing sacrifice of our Lord Jesus!
This newsletter we will share some of our favourite Easter resources on L4U, OverDrive eLibrary, and some web links. We will also share some upcoming contests, including our poetry and talent contest on NING. If you are new to the learning commons please read our welcome getting started for Newbies!
Subscriptions Use Survey
Results of our most recent survey may be found at Subscriptions Survey Results – 2017. A big thank you to all our patrons and staff for completing this survey, which helps inform our purchasing of resources.
Spring and Easter Titles Available Now in the Overdrive Digital Library
New Gr. 6 and 7 Digital and Physical Unit Study Kits
Looking for a way to finish up that last Science and/or Socials Unit in this last semester? These Unit Study Kits provide tons of content and lots of options for interacting with the material in fun and engaging ways. All Unit Studies are available in both physical format through L4U, and in digital format through Overdrive. Reserve today – limited quantities!
Grade 6 Science – Digital Unit Studies
Grade 6 Science – Physical Unit Study Kits from L4U
Grade 6 Social Studies – Digital Unit Studies
Grade 6 Social Studies – Physical Unit Study Kits from L4U
Urbanization and Migration of People Physical Unit Study Kit – COMING SOON!
Global Issues and Media Literacy Physical Unity Study Kit – COMING SOON!
Grade 7 Science
… Stay tuned; more Grade 7 Science Kits coming soon!
Grade 7 Socials
Stay tuned; Grade 7 Socials Kits coming soon!
One of my favourite truths about Easter is that God is relational. Jesus came to earth, died on a cross in our place, rose again to life and conquered the grave. He took our sin so that we may be restored to a place of relationship with God. Fellowship is a wonderful gift given to us, both in our relationship with God and with each other.
NING is an online platform, much like Facebook, but contained within the school. NING provides homeschool families with the ability to have a school community, even if they do not live close together. It is open to students (Grades 8-12), parents and teachers. If you are interested in joining NING, or would like more information, please email Erin Duncan at email@example.com.
New contests on NING are open to students in grades 5-12. You will need a NING account to enter. For students in Grades 5-7, the family or a parent account may be created to submit the entry on their behalf.
- Talent Show – Open now and runs until April 30th. Share and enjoy some of the amazing talents that we have in our community! To enter, log into NING, go to the Groups page and open “The HCOS & NING Talent Show!!!! Spring 2017”. Students are encouraged to share up to 2 talent show entries in a discussion on the NING Talent Show Group page. Everyone is welcome to take part by “liking” the entries. God made us all special and it is fun to share some of those talents in this way!
- Poetry Contest – *Upcoming Contest* The Theme will be “New Growth”, be this personally, in the Lord, or in nature. Contest Group Page will be accessible on NING first week of April.
NEW STEAM resources:
- MathScienceMusic – Cross-disciplinary teaching including the topics listed.
- SciGirls – PBS Kids focuses on girls in science and tech, Middle grades.
- Readworks – Reading comprehension including non fiction reading passages for Gr 2 – 6.
- Enjoy live Shakespeare with the Stratford Festival including video and text.
- Art Google’s Tilt Brush – Lets students paint in 3D space and virtual reality.
- Juxtapose – Frame comparisons, and publish perfect for research and place based inquiry.
- HyperDuino – The HyperDuino app for the Chrome browser lets students connect videos and other media on their Chromebooks to physical projects that they’ve made as part of their regular curriculum.
- Robotics Design Process
- Shapeways – Introduction to 3D printing.
- Spell Up – Language arts, spelling voice activated game, building towers.
- StemEz.com – Problems for cross disciplines in science.
- The Tech Museum of Innovation – Design Challenge learning.
- TechRocket – Coding and design courses for teens 10-18.
- Easter Lesson Plans, Ideas, and Resources Page – This page is filled with Lesson Plans, Sunday School Lessons, Video Resources, Passion Play outlines and more.
- Easter Crafts and Recipe Ideas Page
Easter and Spring Books in L4U
Looking for books about Easter or Spring/Nature Study? In the L4U library, there are Topic Searches under 002 Books by Subject called “Spring/Nature Study and “Easter” which list many of the resources available.
Some favourite Easter books are:
- The Week that Led to Easter
- The Story of the Easter Robin
- Benjamin’s Box: The Story of the Resurrection Eggs
- Humphrey’s First Palm Sunday
- The Case for Easter
- Celebrating Jesus in the Biblical Feasts: Discovering Their Significance to You
Fun books for Spring:
- Karen Andreola’s Pocketful of Pinecones
- Keepers of Life
- Environmental Detectives Teacher’s Guide Gr. 5 – 8
- The Usborne Complete First Book of Nature
- Are You Ready for Spring?
- Take a City Nature Walk
Using Our Gizmos Subscription
Are you needing a great place for your student to learn and follow their curiosity? Our Gizmos subscription allows you to do just that. It is a place to learn math and science for grades 3-9.
Our Learning Commons has information for you about Gizmos.
To answer your questions about how to use the site, you can go to these links:
- Correlations between Gizmos and the new BC curriculum
- Here are the Shared Gizmos Lists
- How to Sign up Students in Gizmos
- How to use the Parent Account in Gizmos
If you have questions about subscriptions, please email me Beth Johnson.