Print Curriculum Options
Grades 4 – 6
Get Acquainted with New Curriculum
Discover Christian Curriculum Options
Click the tabs below to see recommendations sorted by subject area
Many of these resources will need supplementing, as they may not fully cover the Big Ideas of BC’s Modernized Curriculum. Please discuss this with your support teacher. The links provided below most often bring you to the publisher’s website, however, most of these products can be purchased from one of our preferred vendors using your PO#.
Applied Design, Skills, and Technologies: Design Thinking and Making
- Maker Lab: 28 Super Cool Projects by Jack Challoner
- Make This!: Building Thinking, and Tinkering Projects for the Amazing Maker in You by Ella Schwartz
- Out of the Box: 25 Cardboard Engineering Projects for Makers by Jemma Westing
- Maker Lab: Outdoors: 25 Super Cool Projects by Jack Challoner
- DK Genius LEGO Inventions with Bricks You Already Have: 40+ New Robots, Vehicles, Contraptions, Gadgets, Games and Other Fun STEM Creations by Sarah Dees
- Educational building:
- Artistic Pursuits
- Art Lessons by Popular Teaching Resources available in Grades 3/4 and 5/6
- Fine Art Adventures: 36 Creative, Hands-On Projects Inspired by Classic Masterpieces by Maja Pitamic (ages 6 and up)
- Art and How it Works: An Introduction to Art for Children by Ann Kay
- Art Lab for Kids: 52 Creative Adventures in Drawing, Painting, Printmaking, Paper, and Mixed Media-For Budding Artists of All Ages
- Beethoven Who? Family Fun with Music
- NIV Adventure Bible (Grades 4 – 6)
- Positive Action for Christ Bible Curriculum for Grades K – 6
- Explorer’s Bible Study Series for K – 9
Christianity and Christian Worldview
- Elementary Apologetics – contains materials for use with the All 6 volumes from The Answers Books for Kids series
- Apologia’s What We Believe series is a wonderful worldview-based series Grades 4 – 8. Available in indavidual topics (Who is God?, Who am I?, Who is my Neighbor?, and What on Earth can I do?) as well as a four part set.
- Christian Studies by Memoria Press Grades 3 – 8
Highly Recommended Christian Curriculum Publishers
- Managers of Their Chores develops various pieces of a chore system and how it can be set up. Aspects of accountability, rewards, and consequences are addressed. Provides step-by-step directions for setting up a ChorePack chore system.
- Junior’s Adventures Storytime Book Set by Dave Ramsey teaches children important life lessons, like work, giving, saving, spending, integrity, and debt. (ages 5 – 10)
- Kids of Character Curriculum by Marilyn Boyer can be done with multi-level ages. Your children will study 45 crucial character qualities, gleaning insights from Scripture as well as practical projects for implementing them in everyday life, and inspiration from real people from history who have left us inspiring examples to follow.
- Heroic Leaders and Activists by Georgia Amson-Bradshaw
- Daily Social & Workplace Skills – reading passages, graphic organizers, real-world activities, etc.
- Going Above and Beyond Series by Crabtree – creativity, critical thinking, communication, and collaboration skills are essential for preparing young people for the future. This series gives readers the tools to not only build these essential skills but to apply them to all situations so they become habits.
- Better Together: Creating Community in an Uncertain World by Nikki Tate
- How to Turn $100 into $1,000,000: Earn! Save! Invest! by James McKenna
- Five in a Row – unit study lesson plans to use with classic children’s literature, grade K – 6
Comprehensive LA program (may need to add literature)
- Language Lessons for a Living Education – incorporates picture study, memorization, punctuation, spelling, vocabulary, observation, poems, psalms, letters, and practical application through creative writing – all working towards the mastery of reading and grammar, as well as the mechanics of communication and writing. Grades 2- 4 (more grades to come!)
- Fix-It Grammar Books 1 – 6 (Gr. 3 – 8)
- Grammar and Punctuation by Evan Moor – Grades 1 – 6
- Language Fundamentals (grammar, punctuation, vocabulary, spelling) Grades 1 – 6
- Easy Grammar or Daily Grams (10 minutes a day to increase grammar skills)
Grammar and Composition Combined
- Writers in Residence -a writing-focused language arts program. While completing high-interest writing assignments, students learn about sentence structure, the parts of speech, and the conventions of the English language for punctuation, capitalization, and usage. 2 Volumes; begin with Volume 1 regardless of grade; Grades 4 – 8.
- Essentials in Writing – includes an instructional DVD and a workbook; a complete grammar composition curriculum for Grades 1 – 12
Literary Analysis & Novel Studies
- Veritas Press has some wonderful choices in their Literature Studies, which are by grade level
- Classroom Complete Press’ Novel Study Literature Kits include higher-order thinking questions
- Progeny Press Novel Studies from a Christian Perspective – Grades K – 12
- Teaching the Classics – with this program, you will never need to buy another “novel study”, as it teaches literary analysis from K – 12
Phonics and Reading
- All About Reading is a scripted, comprehensive, and multisensory program for teaching reading.
- Explode the Code – workbooks address phonological awareness, decoding, vocabulary, comprehension, fluency, and spelling.
- Reading Rods is a great complimentary item for hands-on learners
Spelling & Vocabulary
- All About Spelling is a program based loosely on the Orton Gillingham method of teaching spelling. It is a little more time consuming but has had great results for both struggling and strong spellers
- Spectrum Spelling – an easy-to-follow workbook format Grades K – 6
- Building Spelling Skills by Christian Liberty Press Grades 1 – 8
- Spelling Workout is an easy-to-follow workbook format Grades 1-8
- Spellwell by EPS- activities help students recognize spelling patterns. Other thinking skills come into play in activities such as identifying rhyming words, words that fit the same categories, and antonyms and synonyms. Two worktexts per grade level; Grades 2 – 5
- Sequential Spelling is a good option for students who struggle with spelling
- Wordly Wise 3000® 4th Edition provides direct academic vocabulary instruction to develop the critical link between vocabulary and reading comprehension. Grades K – 12
Writing – Composition
- Jump in! This writing program by Apologia offers both writing instruction and writing inspiration for grades 5 – 8
- Institute for Excellence in Writing provides the structure that students need to develop confidence in the writing process, while gradually guiding them toward greater independence and creativity. Excellent Resources is a Canadian Distributor.
- Writing Strands (updated) breaks writing instruction down systematically, combining skills-based composition instruction and Bible-based literature study. It provides fun, engaging writing activities with a convenient daily schedule.
- WriteShop – materials that teach your child how to write—and show you how to teach. Engaging, step-by-step lessons present students with the building blocks of the writing process and help educators edit and evaluate their work.
- Just Write – students are guided through the writing process from initial idea to final edited and published narrative. The drawing activities in Write about Me and Write about My World for Kindergarten help children bridge the gap between thinking and talking about an idea and writing about it. Gr. K – 4
- Brave Writer – a variety of home study and online writing courses for students of all ages
- Create-A-Story Game (Grades 3 – 12) This high-adventure game is designed to help students structure a story; develop characters and plots; use dialogue; set up conflict and resolution; write with confidence and imagination; experience the joy of writing
- Horizons Math – a somewhat traditional approach with full-colour workbooks and easy-to-follow teacher guide. Includes hands-on activities and uses a spiral learning method to help students master concepts through the process of introduction, review, and reinforcement.
- Jump Math is a scaffolding math program that breaks math down in order to learn each step. Be sure to access the correct free teacher guide online here, as the workbooks are being updated. (must sign up for a free account first). Well-aligned to BC’s modernized curriculum for content, although is not overly strong in hands-on learning.
- Life of Fred – This curriculum is recommended with caution; please consult with your support teacher first. Students are drawn into why math procedures are useful to be learned – everything first happens in Fred’s everyday life so every piece of math is motivated by a need. This resource does not “beat the student over the head with a million problems”, so don’t expect pages and pages of problems. This resource is not your typical math curriculum. It does not fit neatly into grades, although we have done our best to give you a road map of which books to complete in which grades in our Math Correlations Index here.
- Math Lessons for a Living Education – Convenient daily schedule, 15-30 minute lessons, an instructional blend of stories, copywork, oral narration, and hands-on experiences. Works well with the new BC curriculum curricular competencies; has a Charlotte Mason “flavour”.
- Math-U-See We recommend this program more for the lower grades (K-3) because as the program progresses, it seems to grow farther away from addressing the content and curricular competencies of BC’s modernized curriculum. It can be carried into the higher grades for students who struggle in math because it uses manipulative blocks and is broken down to teach students specific skills that build as the student progresses, and is structured with step-by-step procedures for introducing, reviewing, and practising concepts.
- Right Start Mathematics. Very hands-on and great for younger kids. Lots of games, manipulatives and activities. Requires a bit more work on the part of the teacher.
- Saxon Math – an incremental approach whereby concepts are woven together and connected throughout the year. Skills or concepts are reinforced throughout the years, helping students build a strong foundation of understanding.
- Singapore Mathematics – Sonlight has the best description. Here are placement tests (highly recommended for anyone transferring in after grade 1
- Math Mammoth Blue Series – this is a great series for catching up students who have fallen behind and need to pick up the foundational skills before moving on to Grade 9 and 10 and beyond. Each book includes both the explanations of the concepts and lots of varied problems, which are essentially a textbook and workbook into one.
Online and Supplemental
- Sir Cumference Math Adventures supplemental math literacy books for Grades 1 – 6
- Online (to bill to your curriculum budget, you must go through the purchasing department and use this link. If you have questions, please email Donna Perret).
- CTC Math – online subscription-based program for grades K – 12 that allows students to learn at their own pace. The program includes video tutorials, interactive questions, worksheets & solutions, and ongoing progress reports
- DreamBox Math K – 8 Canadian online math program that assesses and adjusts to the student’s math ability. This can be purchased through our purchasing department from Homeschool Buyers’ Co-op.
- Exploring Creation With Health and Nutrition This 15-module course, which includes both a hardcover textbook and a spiral bound notebook, covers the physical, nutritional, emotional, and spiritual aspects of growing into a healthy adult. Please preview content for suitableness for your student. Grades 3 – 7
- Total Health Middle School can be used over multiple years; grades 5 – 8
- AOP Horizons and Lifepac Health Grades K – 12
- The Ultimate Homeschool Physical Education Book – this unique collection of partner and small group games (requiring only two-four participants) is perfect for teaching and developing physical education skills in the home setting.
- Homeschool Family Fitness: A Complete Curriculum Guide a definitive guide with lesson plans and labs covering everything from basic games to organized sports
- Quality Daily Physical Activities Grades 4 – 6
- Canadian Health Activities Grades 4-6
- Investigate the Possibilities series from Master Books for Grades 3-6
- The God’s Design Series for grades 3 – 8
- Wonders of Creation Series, multi-level teaching for Grades 3 and up
- Apologia Science – creation-based science curriculum for grades K–12
- Berean Builders is a hands-on, multilevel elementary science series that introduces scientific concepts using history as its guide. Each lesson is built around an activity or experiment. K – 6
- Christian Kids Explore – students will learn to observe, question, and explore our world Gr. 1 – 6
- Master Books has a wide variety of highly recommended science curriculum (mostly for grades 3 and up)
- STEM: Engaging Hands-On Challenges Using Everyday Materials
- ScienceWiz kits include the required materials for hands-on learning and an informative book
- Ein-O Science kits contain the required materials for hands-on learning and explanatory booklet
- The World of Science includes over 800 illustrations and photographs and 60 science experiments
- The Sassafras Science Adventures Grades K – 5
- Donna Ward has some great resources for studying Canada – Including Canada, Our Country, Canada’s Natives Long Ago, and Courage and Conquest
- Classroom Complete Press Workbooks with Projects
- The Story of Canada by Janet Lunn (ages 9 and up)
- Headphone History – audio history of Canada written for children with stories and legends woven throughout.
- Kids Can Press Canada Series
- Canada Close Up series
- Scholastic Canada Biographies
- Discovering Canada Series by Livesy and Smith
- Apple Press Canadian map workbooks
- On the Mark Press workbooks
- Canadian Flyer Adventure Series – historical fiction
- I Am Canada series – historical fiction
- Dear Canada Series by Scholastic – historical fiction
- How to Homeschool with Stunning Confidence, Contagious Joy, and Amazing Focus–DVDs and Workbook. Apologia has some other offerings here
- Homeschool Bravely: How to Squash Doubt, Trust God and Teach Your Children with Confidence
- The Maxwells carry a number of resources on how to manage a homeschooling household, how to handle chores, and how to parent
- Character Building for Families
- Hold on to Your Kids is an excellent book by Gordon Neufeld and Gabor Maté, MD
- Sally Clarkson – blog and books
- Debra Bell – blog and books
- Diana Waring – blog and books
- Typing Instructor for Kids Platinum Edition
- All the Right Type 4 Online is our #1 suggestion for an online typing program: Canadian site – sequenced lessons and games
- Touch-type Read and Spell is the most recommended site for teaching typing to a student with dyslexia. An award-winning, multi-sensory course that teaches touch-typing, reading and spelling at the same time.