Print Curriculum Options
Kindergarten – Grade 3
Get Acquainted with New Curriculum
Discover Christian Curriculum Options
Click the tabs below to see recommendations sorted by subject area
Many of these resources will need supplementing, as they may not fully cover the Big Ideas of BC’s Modernized Curriculum. Please discuss this with your support teacher. The links provided below most often bring you to the publisher’s website, however, most of these products can be purchased from one of our preferred vendors using your PO#.
Applied Design, Skills, and Technologies: Design Thinking and Making
- Picture-Perfect STEM Lessons, K–2: Using Children’s Books to Inspire STEM Learning
- Junior Maker: Experiments to Try, Crafts to Create, and Lots to Learn! By DK
- Crafty Science: More than 20 Sensational STEAM Projects to Create at Home by Jane Bull
- Unlock Your Imagination: More than 250 Boredom Busters by DK
- Educational building:
- Artistic Pursuits
- Come Look With Me
- Art Lessons by Popular Teaching Resources available in Grades 1/2 and 3/4
- Fine Art Adventures: 36 Creative, Hands-On Projects Inspired by Classic Masterpieces by Maja Pitamic (ages 6 and up)
- Art and How it Works: An Introduction to Art for Children by Ann Kay
- Art Lab for Kids: 52 Creative Adventures in Drawing, Painting, Printmaking, Paper, and Mixed Media-For Budding Artists of All Ages
- Usborne Children’s Book Of Art by Rosie Dickins
- NIrV Adventure Bible for Early Readers (Grades K – 3)
Bible Story Picture Books (supplementary)
- Positive Action for Christ Bible Curriculum for Grades K – 6 (note, the teacher manual is essential for K4, K5 and Gr. 1)
- Explorer’s Bible Study Series for K – 9
Christianity and Christian Worldview
- Apologia’s Young Defender Series for grades K – 3
- Elementary Apologetics – contains materials for use with the All 6 volumes from The Answers Books for Kids series
Highly Recommended Christian Curriculum Publishers
- Junior’s Adventures Storytime Book Set by Dave Ramsey teaches children important life lessons, like work, giving, saving, spending, integrity, and debt. (ages 5 – 10)
- What Do Grown-ups Do All Day? By Virginie Morgand
- Character Trails Curriculum qualities covered are Attentiveness, Availability, Boldness, Compassion, Courage, Decisiveness, Endurance, Flexibility, Generosity, Joyfulness, Orderliness and Thoroughness.
- Managers of Their Chores develops various pieces of a chore system and how it can be set up. Aspects of accountability, rewards, and consequences are addressed. Provides step-by-step directions for setting up a ChorePack chore system.
- Creative Teaching Press’ Character Education Readers include Dare to Have Courage, Would It Be Right?, Telling the Truth, Be a Friend, Never Give Up, Following the Rules, You Can Count On Me, Working Together, Sharing is Caring, Think Before You Act, Everyone is Unique and Special, and Show You Understand.
- God, I Need to Talk to You About … Series – Child-friendly text and illustrations help children think and pray about behaviours they encounter in daily life. Scripture examples help children apply what they learn to their lives.
- Come Sit By Me – Canadian picture book unit study for grades K – 2
- Five in a Row – unit study lesson plans to use with classic children’s literature, grade K – 6
Comprehensive LA program (may need to add literature)
- Language Lessons for a Living Education – incorporates picture study, memorization, punctuation, spelling, vocabulary, observation, poems, psalms, letters, and practical application through creative writing – all working towards the mastery of reading and grammar, as well as the mechanics of communication and writing. Grades 2- 4 (more grades to come!)
- First Language Lessons – A complete grammar text for the youngest student. Uses copywork, narration, picture study, and other classical techniques to develop the student’s language ability.
- Grammar and Punctuation by Evan Moor – Grades 1 – 6
- Language Fundamentals (grammar, punctuation, vocabulary, spelling) Grades 1 – 6
- Easy Grammar or Daily Grams (10 minutes a day to increase grammar skills)
Grammar and Composition Combined
- Essentials in Writing – includes an instructional DVD and a workbook; a complete grammar composition curriculum for Grades 1 – 12
Literary Analysis & Novel Studies
- Veritas Press has some wonderful choices in their Literature Studies, which are by grade level
- Classroom Complete Press’ Novel Study Literature Kits include higher-order thinking questions
- Progeny Press Novel Studies from a Christian Perspective – Grades K – 12
Phonics and Reading
- All About Reading is a scripted, comprehensive, and multisensory program for teaching reading.
- First Start Reading is a balanced, age-appropriate approach to phonics and reading with a serious focus on correct pencil grip and letter formation. Uses the (vowel-consonant) approach combined with word families.
- Explode the Code – workbooks address phonological awareness, decoding, vocabulary, comprehension, fluency, and spelling.
- Phonics Pathways teaches reading using sounds and spelling patterns which are introduced one at a time and slowly built into words, syllables, phrases, and sentences. Simple step-by-step directions begin every lesson.
- Primary Arts of Reading – a blended sound-sight approach combining phonics with some sight words, Games, activities, and stickers add interest for the child; includes clear directions and thorough explanations.
- Reading Rods is a great complimentary item for hands-on learners
Spelling & Vocabulary
- All About Spelling is a program based loosely on the Orton Gillingham method of teaching spelling. It is a little more time consuming but has had great results for both struggling and strong spellers
- Spectrum Spelling – an easy-to-follow workbook format Grades K – 6
- Building Spelling Skills by Christian Liberty Press Grades 1 – 8
- Spelling Workout is an easy-to-follow workbook format Grades 1-8
- Spellwell by EPS- activities help students recognize spelling patterns. Other thinking skills come into play in activities such as identifying rhyming words, words that fit the same categories, and antonyms and synonyms. Two worktexts per grade level; Grades 2 – 5
- Sequential Spelling is a good option for students who struggle with spelling
- Wordly Wise 3000® 4th Edition provides direct academic vocabulary instruction to develop the critical link between vocabulary and reading comprehension. Grades K – 12
Writing – Composition
- Institute for Excellence in Writing provides the structure that students need to develop confidence in the writing process, while gradually guiding them toward greater independence and creativity. Excellent Resources is a Canadian Distributor.
- Writing Strands (updated) breaks writing instruction down systematically, combining skills-based composition instruction and Bible-based literature study. It provides fun, engaging writing activities with a convenient daily schedule.
- WriteShop – materials that teach your child how to write—and show you how to teach. Engaging, step-by-step lessons present students with the building blocks of the writing process and help educators edit and evaluate their work.
- Just Write – students are guided through the writing process from initial idea to final edited and published narrative. The drawing activities in Write about Me and Write about My World for Kindergarten help children bridge the gap between thinking and talking about an idea and writing about it. Gr. K – 4.
- Brave Writer – a variety of home study and online writing courses for students of all ages.
- Horizons Math – a somewhat traditional approach with full-colour workbooks and easy-to-follow teacher guide. Includes hands-on activities and uses a spiral learning method to help students master concepts through the process of introduction, review, and reinforcement.
- Jump Math is a scaffolding math program that breaks math down in order to learn each step. Be sure to access the correct free teacher guide online here, as the workbooks are being updated. (must sign up for a free account first). Well-aligned to BC’s modernized curriculum for content, although is not overly strong in hands-on learning.
- Life of Fred – This curriculum is recommended with caution; please consult with your support teacher first. Students are drawn into why math procedures are useful to be learned – everything first happens in Fred’s everyday life so every piece of math is motivated by a need. This resource does not “beat the student over the head with a million problems”, so don’t expect pages and pages of problems. This resource is not your typical math curriculum. It does not fit neatly into grades, although we have done our best to give you a road map of which books to complete in which grades in our Math Correlations Index here.
- Math Lessons for a Living Education – Convenient daily schedule, 15-30 minute lessons, an instructional blend of stories, copywork, oral narration, and hands-on experiences. Works well with the new BC curriculum curricular competencies; has a Charlotte Mason “flavour”.
- Math-U-See We recommend this program more for the lower grades (K-3) because as the program progresses, it seems to grow farther away from addressing the content and curricular competencies of BC’s modernized curriculum. It can be carried into the higher grades for students who struggle in math because it uses manipulative blocks and is broken down to teach students specific skills that build as the student progresses, and is structured with step-by-step procedures for introducing, reviewing, and practising concepts.
- Right Start Mathematics. Very hands-on and great for younger kids. Lots of games, manipulatives and activities. Requires a bit more work on the part of the teacher.
- Saxon Math – an incremental approach whereby concepts are woven together and connected throughout the year. Skills or concepts are reinforced throughout the years, helping students build a strong foundation of understanding.
- Singapore Mathematics – Sonlight has the best description. Here are placement tests (highly recommended for anyone transferring in after grade 1
- Math Mammoth Blue Series – this is a great series for catching up students who have fallen behind and need to pick up the foundational skills before moving on to Grade 9 and 10 and beyond. Each book includes both the explanations of the concepts and lots of varied problems, which are essentially a textbook and workbook into one.
Online and Supplemental
- MathStart supplemental math literacy books for Grades K – 3
- Sir Cumference Math Adventures supplemental math literacy books for Grades 1 – 6
- Online (to bill to your curriculum budget, you must go through the purchasing department and use this link. If you have questions, please email Donna Perret).
- CTC Math – online subscription-based program for grades K – 12 that allows students to learn at their own pace. The program includes video tutorials, interactive questions, worksheets & solutions, and ongoing progress reports
- DreamBox Math K – 8 Canadian online math program that assesses and adjusts to the student’s math ability. This can be purchased through our purchasing department from Homeschool Buyers’ Co-op.
- The Ultimate Homeschool Physical Education Book – this unique collection of partner and small group games (requiring only two-four participants) is perfect for teaching and developing physical education skills in the home setting.
- Homeschool Family Fitness: A Complete Curriculum Guide a definitive guide with lesson plans and labs covering everything from basic games to organized sports
- AOP Horizons and Lifepac Health Grades K – 12
- Quality Daily Physical Activities Grades K-3
- Canadian Health Activities Grades 1-3
- Apologia Science – creation-based science curriculum for grades K–12
- Berean Builders is a hands-on, multilevel elementary science series that introduces scientific concepts using history as its guide. Each lesson is built around an activity or experiment. K – 6
- Christian Liberty Press Science books for Grades K -3 are beautiful, easy-to-follow full-colour text/workbooks in one
- Let’s Read and Find Out Science – Stage 1 and Stage 2 (read-aloud books for younger children
- Christian Kids Explore – students will learn to observe, question, and explore our world Gr. 1 – 6
- STEM: Engaging Hands-On Challenges Using Everyday Materials
- ScienceWiz kits include the required materials for hands-on learning and an informative book
- Ein-O Science kits contain the required materials for hands-on learning and explanatory booklet
- The World of Science includes over 800 illustrations and photographs and 60 science experiments
- The Sassafras Science Adventures Grades K – 5
- How to Homeschool with Stunning Confidence, Contagious Joy, and Amazing Focus–DVDs and Workbook. Apologia has some other offerings here
- Homeschool Bravely: How to Squash Doubt, Trust God and Teach Your Children with Confidence
- The Maxwells carry a number of resources on how to manage a homeschooling household, how to handle chores, and how to parent
- Character Building for Families
- Hold on to Your Kids is an excellent book by Gordon Neufeld and Gabor Maté, MD
- Sally Clarkson – blog and books
- Debra Bell – blog and books
- Diana Waring – blog and books