E-Book Library with Overdrive Guide
HCS Learning Commons is ready to launch our E-Book library with Overdrive!!
Here you can read or listen to your book of choice on your computer or mobile device!
We are very excited about our wonderful E-Library on Overdrive, with professional development, historical fiction, non-fiction including varied curriculum as well as Christian fiction for all ages. We have included great classics like Number the Stars, The Cay, The Giver series, Lord of the Rings and many, many more. Authors such as Bryan Davies, Ted Dekker, Eric Walters, Elizabeth George Speare, Debora Ellis are to be found here. We welcome your suggestions for E-Books which you can do on Overdrive using the Suggest further resources icon.
We have worked hard to try and find books that represent our unique teaching campuses, but we have had to work within the formats (epub, pdf, mp3, wma, etc) that are compatible with Overdrive. Presently about 90% of all items on Overdrive are available in Overdrive Read format which allows you to read via browser and one click.
WHY E LIBRARY ?
“We pray and trust our HCOS families will enjoy these online resources. We encourage parents to supervise their students’ online activities. If you have any concerns do not hesitate to contact your support teacher of Pippa Davies our chair of learning commons.”
The OverDrive collection is an extension of Heritage Christian School’s physical Learning Commons, only it’s online with 24/7 access to audiobook and eBook downloads. It’s convenient for students to check out titles anytime, anywhere with no worry about misplacing a book or running up late fees – these digital titles automatically return at the end of the lending period!
OverDrive can help students of all ages read more and improve comprehension. Struggling or reluctant readers, learning-challenged, second language learners, and gifted readers can all benefit from this service.
• Enrich vocabulary and improve comprehension and pronunciation
• Introduce students to books above their reading level
• Teach critical listening
• Teach using downloadable curriculum via E and Open PDF workbooks such as Evan Moore and Horizons, Complete Classroom Press. Match up with e reference text books to provide complete unit studies. Our kits are all in digital format on Overdrive.
You will receive your set of passwords from L4U when you enrol. If you have not received within the first few weeks contact Shandra Wiebe. Watch and review suggestions below, and then follow the circulation information further down the page.
- Brief overview of the Overdrive e library by Pippa Davies: Vimeo video
- To find out about curriculum and content on Overdrive check out this page with recordings available.
More HOW to videos are available here on the Overdrive VIDEO site.
If you get stuck at all in the process Overdrive HELP will walk you through the process with your device. Contact Pippa if you need technical support or reference queries in this regard.
Downloading PDF and OPEN PDF Materials re Digital Kits
- You can download and read PDF titles using Adobe Digital Editions.
- There are two types of PDF titles: protected and Open PDFs.
- Open PDF eBooks are compatible with more devices and applications than protected PDF eBooks. The Open PDF format doesn’t require you to authorize your computer or app to read them, which is why they open on your computer right away, with the option to print readily available.
- Learn more about Adobe Digital Editions with this overdrive-ade-troubleshooting-guide.
- Adobe PDF eBooks require you to authorize your computer with an OverDrive account or Adobe ID before you read them.
- PDFs have a static layout with set page breaks, so you can’t adjust font size, and they don’t automatically adjust to fit your screen. However, you can zoom in on a page or graphic.
- PDFs work well with graphic novels, illustrated eBooks, and other titles with specific formatting.
The publishers select the available formats for titles. Additionally, not all PDF titles can be printed. To see if a PDF title can be printed, in the app you will want to select the title > “Properties” button > “License” tab. In Adobe Digital Editions, right-click on the title, then click “Item info” to see the permissions.
Streaming Video- Please read this article.
Parents, teachers and students will have a username and password generated via the new circulation system L4U. This username and password will be the same information that you will use to access the library catalogue in L4U. Once you sign up with our schools you will receive your username and password via email shortly after your enrolment. If you have not received after two weeks of enrolling please contact email@example.com and she will send you your details.
Physical Commons (Heritage Christian School students)
Patron details: Students will be able to access the E-Library based on the information assigned to them during their library time, and their usernames and passwords will also be sent to them at the start of the school year via email. Parents please get your students to keep this information in a safe place once you have received. Students who register after September will have their passwords assigned manually by Jessie Davis. Please contact Jessie Davis our campus librarian HCS Library firstname.lastname@example.org
Patrons may sign up to 4 items on Overdrive at a time and the loan period is either 7, 14, 21, or 28 days. You may change the loan period under the tab in your account called Settings. If you are doing a novel study you can renew by returning the book to the system and then checking out again if no-one else has booked it.
Books are automatically returned to the system, so you don’t ever need fear an overdue item. Alternatively, you can return your items from the Overdrive App (iOS), from the Overdrive Media Console (PC or Mac), or from the Adobe Digital Editions software program. You may only have 3 items out at once, so you may wish to return a digital book early so you can borrow a new book. This may change as our collection is developed.
List of compatible devices from Overdrive
List of non-compatible Devices
BC Virtual Library “Library To Go”
We will have some Kobo and Sony E-readers in the campus library for loan via Canpar, but we are still in the process of getting these ready to go. If you are borrowing an E reader from our learning commons please make sure you follow the E reader guidelines.
E Reader Guidelines
We are pleased to announce that E readers are available for Students and their families! Students and Parents/Guardians need to be aware that the following rules apply when using our equipment:
1. Do not download additional content.
2. Do not remove books from the device.
3. Be responsible for damage and/or replacement of the Kobo E-Reader, or Sony Reader in case of loss or damage. The student/parent should contact the library as soon as possible to report the damage.
4. The equipment is and shall remain the property of the Heritage Learning Commons and is being loaned to the student/staff member for a period of time .
5. All electronic equipment will follow the school’s filtering policy and Acceptable Use policy.
6. The signer is expected to keep the equipment intact while not in use.
7. The e readers will be loaned out for the time allocated on Overdrive.
Configuration of home Internet use and management of the equipment is the responsibility of the borrower. Should an incident arise where damages are incurred, please contact our learning commons staff asap.
For more information contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org