STEAM Virtual Book Club for Grades 2 – 3
October 8, 2018 @ 12:30 pm - January 21, 2019 @ 12:30 pm| $50
Pippa Davies (Teacher, Librarian and Director Learning Commons), will be focusing the content on grade 3 standards.
She will read the books to your students so pre-reading is not expected.
The focus of these book clubs is to encourage verbal discussion, inquiry and making/designing. Pippa will be lining up each lesson from a STEAM perspective and also be encouraging applications in your home that are easy to use and find. So nothing will need to be purchased other than art tools which you might have already.
Homework will be shared on a weekly basis with your students and also via email so you can assist your students.
Formative assessment will be provided for your teachers when requested. This will be done via Flipgrid technology with video assessment and self-reflection during and after class.
Content to be covered will include the following standards:
- Ecosystems and Biodiversity – using ebooks that are available on OverDrive Virtual Library.
- ADST K-Gr 3 – IDEATE-MAKE-SHARE
- Design thinking and making pedagogy
Curriculum competencies covered are biodiversity in the environment and knowledge of First Peoples of ecosystems.
Students will also cover ADST and some Language Arts standards, including metacognitive strategies of reading, features of oral language and elements of story, genre and some literary elements and devices in poetry.
We will also examine the Question Formulation Technique and learn the difference between open and closed questions.
- Please see LC VIR Book Club Gr 2-3 STEAM flyer, for other pertinent information.
- Parents need to sit in the first session to help students familiarize themselves with the educational platform and technologies.