Welcome to our OverDrive eBook Library at Heritage Christian Schools where fiction and non-fiction, including some amazing curriculum (correlated to our BC standards), is to be found at your fingertips.
You will discover a collection of eBooks, audiobooks, digital kits and local content accessible to you once you have enrolled in our school. Materials may be read using Overdrive Read (eBooks) in your browser or Overdrive Listen (AudioBooks).
Note, for information specific to Sora, please see the last tab on the left, entitled “New Sora App”.
The OverDrive collection is an extension of Heritage Christian School’s physical Learning Commons, only it’s online with 24/7 access to audiobook and eBook downloads. It’s convenient for students to check out titles anytime, anywhere with no worry about misplacing a book or running up late fees – these digital titles automatically return at the end of the lending period!
OverDrive can help students of all ages read more and improve comprehension. Struggling or reluctant readers, learning-challenged, second language learners, and gifted readers can all benefit from this service.
- Enrich vocabulary and improve comprehension and pronunciation
- Introduce students to books above their reading level
- Teach critical listening
- Teach using downloadable curriculum via ePDF and Open PDF workbooks
- Evan Moor
- Complete Classroom Press.
- Match-up with eReference textbooks to provide complete unit studies in science, social studies, and STEM learning.
- Access HCOS Digital Unit Study Kits
If you are a new patron to the OverDrive eBook Library, you will need your Encom passwords to access OverDrive and Sora.
Once you have your passwords you can find the default sign-in page here for OverDrive.
Note, you can also access OverDrive within our main Search Portal on the right banner using the default icon.
- Help Videos – watch “OverDrive for Schools” video
- Once you have your passwords save them to your computer and then sign in to begin exploring.
- If you get stuck at all in the process, OverDrive HELP will walk you through the process with your device. Contact Pippa if you need technical support or reference queries in this regard.
- Most books will open using the OverDrive Read or OverDrive Listen via your browser.
- You will need to download Adobe Digital Editions software and also the Overdrive App. Adobe is needed to open ePDF and ePUB formatted books.
- Kindle and Kindle Fire (Kindle eBooks are not available in Canada)
- Kobo E Ink
- Kobo Tablets
- Sony Reader Wi-Fi
eReaders are available for students and their families through our Learning Commons. Students and parents/guardians need to be aware that the following rules apply when using our equipment:
1. Do not download additional content.
2. Do not remove books from the device.
3. Be responsible for damage and/or replacement of the Kobo eReader, or Sony eReader in case of loss or damage. The student/parent should contact the library as soon as possible to report the damage.
4. The equipment is and shall remain the property of the Heritage Learning Commons and is being loaned to the student/staff member for a period of time
5. All electronic equipment will follow the school’s filtering policy and Acceptable Use policy.
6. The signer is expected to keep the equipment intact while not in use.
7. The eReaders will be loaned out for the time allocated on OverDrive.
8. The configuration of home Internet use and management of the equipment is the responsibility of the borrower.
9. Should an incident arise where damages are incurred, please contact our Learning Commons staff ASAP.
Facts about PDF Files!
- You can download and read ePDF titles on the traditional OverDrive website (NOT SORA) using Adobe Digital Editions. Please download the software and authenticate to your computer when you start using OverDrive.
- Open PDFs can be opened in your device’s web browser (like Chrome or Safari) or in a PDF-compatible reading app (not the OverDrive app or Sora).
- PDFs have a static layout with set page breaks, so you can’t adjust font size, and they don’t automatically adjust to fit your screen. However, you can zoom in on a page or graphic.
- PDFs work well with graphic novels, illustrated eBooks, workbooks and other titles with specific formatting.
There are two types of PDF titles: Open PDF and protected ePDF format.
- Open PDF eBooks are compatible with more devices and applications than protected PDF eBooks. The Open PDF format doesn’t require you to authorize your computer or app to read them, which is why they open on your computer right away, with the option to print readily available.
- Protected ePDF books will require the software Adobe Digital Editions on your computer.
- To install ADE for Windows go here
- To install ADE for Mac go here
- Learn more about Adobe Digital Editions help here.
- Adobe PDF eBooks require you to authorize your computer with an OverDrive account or Adobe ID before you read them.
If you get stuck and need to re-authorize ADE, please troubleshoot using this Troubleshooting Guide
Copyright and Printing!
The publishers select the available formats for titles. Additionally, not all PDF titles can be printed. To see if a PDF title can be printed, in the app you will want to select the title > “Properties” button > “License” tab. In Adobe Digital Editions, right-click on the title, then click “Item info” to see the permissions.
Patrons may sign up to 7 items out at a time from the OverDrive eBook Library, and the loan period is either 7, 14, 21, or 28 days. You may change the loan period under the tab in your account called Settings. If you are doing a novel study you may renew by returning the book to the system and then checking out again if no-one else has booked it.
Books are automatically returned to the system, so you don’t ever need to fear an overdue item. Alternatively, you can return your items from the OverDrive App (iOS), from the OverDrive Media Console (PC or Mac), or from the Adobe Digital Editions software program.
You may only have 4 items out at once, so you may wish to return a digital book early, which will allow you to borrow a new book. This may change as our collection is developed. Contact Pippa Davies should you need to return materials and you are having difficulty.
- Install the Sora app from the App Store or Google Play, or go to soraapp.com
- In Sora, find your school by searching for Heritage Christian Online School or by using setup code, heritageca, then sign in using your Encom username and password. Note, each student can have their own account with Sora.
- Or find the SORA web link in the OverDrive website and click on the URL to download.
- Browse the Explore tab and borrow a book. Your book will open so you can start reading right away
- Close the book and go to your Shelf to see all your books. From there you can:
- Tap Open Book or Open Audiobook to read or listen
- Tap Options to renew or return the book, get to your notes and highlights, and more
- Please note you cannot read ePDF formatted books within SORA, only in the traditional OverDrive website.