The Sora app was designed around the modern student reading experience. It empowers students to discover and enjoy ebooks and audiobooks from their school, for both leisure and class-assigned reading.
Inspired by educator and student feedback, Sora was created to excite kids about reading and remove distractions to promote a focus on learning.
- Easy to use, one tap to get inside a book
- The largest catalog of ebooks and audiobooks…made even larger by access to your public library through Sora
- Teachers can assign titles and track individual student reading progress
- Exportable notes, highlights for collaborative learning
- Personalized with book recommendations and learning tools like dyslexic font, enlarged text, Read-Alongs and audiobooks
- Badges and achievements to engage students
- Same experience on all devices
- Direct support for readers provided by OverDrive
You will need your Encom username and password to access Sora. You would have received this information when you were first accepted into the school.
Your students may each have their own unique Sora accounts, enabling them to each sign out up to 5 eBooks at a time. If your student has Encom credentials, they may use them for access, or as a parent/guardian you may set up Encom credentials for your student on the “Active Term Student List” page in your Encom account.
Once you have your login credentials, you can sign in to Sora.
Install the Sora app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store, or go to https://soraapp.com.
In Sora, find your school (or enter your school’s setup code), then sign in.
Browse the Explore tab and borrow a book. Your book will open so you can start reading right away.
Close the book and go to your Shelf to see all your books (including assignments). From there, you can:
- Click or tap Open Book or Open Audiobook to read or listen to the book.
- Click or tap Options to renew or return the book, get to your notes and highlights, and more.
Please note you cannot read ePDF formatted books within SORA, only in the traditional OverDrive website. If you need more help with Sora, please visit Sora Help.
Users may sign out up to 5 items at a time, and the loan period is 14 days. Books are automatically returned to the system, so you don’t ever need to fear an overdue item.
If you’re at your borrowing limit, you may wish to return a title early in order to borrow a new book.
To do this:
- navigate to the “Shelf” icon at the bottom of your screen
- select “LOANS” from the top menu bar
- click “Options” to the left of the book you’d like to return
- you’ll see a number of options including the “Return” option
- click “Return”