Learning Commons Resources
- Textiles: A History
- Hold On to Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More Than Peers
- Girls on the Edge: The Four Factors Driving the New Crisis for Girls: Sexual Identity, the Cyberbubble, Obsessions, Environmental Toxins
- Growing Up Online: A Must Have Guide for Parents, Teachers, and Kids
- Food Safety Basics
Information and Communications Technology
- Arduino (Series: 21st Century Skills Innovation Library: Makers as Innovators)
- Communication & Technology Resource Book
- Communication & Technology Activity Book
- FIRST Robotics (Series: 21st Century Skills Innovation Library: Makers as Innovators)
- Getting Started with Coding
- Getting Started with MakerBot
- Make: 3D Printing Projects and Tutorials from the Pages of Make Magazine
- More Web Design with HTML5
- Python for Kids: A Playful Introduction to Programming
- Scratch (Series: 21st Century Skills Innovation Library: Makers as Innovators)
- Make: Lego and Arduino Projects (Projects for Extending MINDSTORMS NXT with Open-Source Electronics)
- Make (Technology on Your Time Magazine, Volume 27)
- The LEGO Mindstorms EV3 Discovery Book: A Beginner’s Guide to Building and Programming Robots
- The LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 Laboratory: Build, Program, and Experiment with Five Wicked Cool Robots
Log in to BrainPOP or go to BrainPOP Educators (no username or password required), which has the option to choose BC curriculum standards. You can search for topics such as technology, coding and creative coding. For ADST there are many BrainPOP videos available.
In BrainPOP you will find short animated movies, to creatively engage students in learning. (Gr. K-12) Look for a full description under “Subscriptions” on the home page.
To find ADST resources, log in to Curio.ca and set up your account. There is the option to look for British Columbia curriculum, and then choose “Applied Design, Skills, and Technologies”. This will bring up options for Business Education, Home Economics and Culinary Arts, Information and Communications Technology, Skills Exploration, and Technology Education. Students can also search under “Categories” and under “Collections” to find ADST resources.
Curio.ca offers the audio and video content from CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) and Radio-Canada for unique Canadian content. (K-12, but mostly high school content) Look for a full description under “Subscriptions” on the home page.
Log in to Discovery Education Streaming. Students can can then choose from topics such as: Education, Engineering, Environmental Occupations, Financial, Health, Human Services, Workplace Skills, Marketing and Sales, Media and Arts, Personal and Building Services, Production Occupations, Professional Specialty Occupations, Scientific Occupations, Technical and Related Occupations, Technology, and Transportation and Material Moving Occupations.
Discovery Education Streaming Plus offers students award-winning digital or multimedia content. (K-12 content) Look for a full description under “Subscriptions” on the home page.
To access Explora High School for research, log in to Explora Secondary.
EBSCOhost’s Explora is a site to encourage student research with extensive, reliable content and ease of use. (K-12 content) Look for a full description under “Subscriptions” on the home page.
EVERFI offers these ADST-related courses for Grade 10-12 students:
- Financial Education
- STEM Readiness
Play to Learn – STEM Career Readiness for Grades 8-10 (called “Radius” outside BC–secret agents using STEM concepts to achieve their goals)
- Health and Wellness
EverFI produces digital courses: financial literacy, STEM, diversity and inclusion, student loan management, digital citizenship, civic awareness, entrepreneurial thinking, alcohol and substance abuse, and sexual assault prevention. (Gr. 2-12) Look for a full description (and a list of all courses available) under “Subscriptions” on the home page.
GALE CENGAGE Learning and GALE Databases: Log in to your parent home page in Encom, or through the Search Portal at the Search Portal landing page to find the links, usernames and passwords for the various GALE sites: “Canada in Context”, “Global Issues in Context”, “Gale Virtual Reference Library”, “Science in Context” and “Global Reference on the Environment, Energy and Natural Resources”.
GALE CENGAGE Learning is a world leader in eResearch and educational publishing. (Gr. 9-12) Look for a full description under “Subscriptions” the home page.
Log in at KNOW BC and search by going to an encyclopedia or book title.
KnowBC is the leading general reference site for British Columbia, and has the Encyclopedia of British Columbia and other reference works. (Gr. K-12) Look for a full description under “Subscriptions” on the home page.
First log in to Learn360 before you choose a topic or “click” on a link. In Learn360 select an ADST topic such as Family & Consumer Sciences, Technical & Vocational Education, or Careers & Job Search, then filter for the appropriate grade range.
Learn360 is a media-on-demand service or digital video library for Gr. K-12, with digital, audio and other support materials. Look for a full description under “Subscriptions” on the home page.
Tynker’s interactive courses enable students to learn computer programming in a fun and imaginative way. Look for a full description under “Subscriptions” on the home page.
Log in to World Book and select World Book Advanced (Gr. 8-12).
World Book is our online encyclopedia with research sites for all ages from K to 12. Look for a full description under “Subscriptions” on the home page.