Learn about immigrants who came to Canada and their contributions to Canada’s development, as well as the discrimination they faced. Japanese internment camps, residential schools, and the underground railroad will be covered along with discussion about Canada’s Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
The following resources are included in the physical kit and will need to be returned to HCOS:
- As Long as the River Flows by Larry Loyie
- Caged Eagles by Eric Walters
- Coming to Canada by Susan Hughes
- The Kids Book of Canadian Immigration by Deborah Hodge
- Our New Home: Immigrant Children Speak by Emily Hearn
- My Name is Seepeetza by Shirley Sterling
- Underground to Canada by Barbara Smucker
- White Jade Tiger by Julie Lawson
All unit studies are checked to ensure links are working. You will need to access the study guide online (using the link above) as it has clickable links to many online resources.
To check out this Unit Study Kit complete with the physical books, log-in to your L4U account. Once logged in, click the “ADVANCED” search from the top menu, then “Local Call Number”, then KIT 971 IMM. Click the green “Submit” button, and you’re on your way to obtaining this excellent resource!
We encourage you to pre-screen videos and book resources to ensure that they are a good fit for your family. We also encourage you to explore resources alongside your child to facilitate quality discussion about these complex topics.