SOCIAL MEDIA and DIGITAL CITIZENSHIP
Before your students use social media have them watch the following video from Friendly Screens animation. This will help with privacy issues.
Research Skills for Middle and High school video grade 7/8 and up, with Pippa Davies. Pippa highlights some research pointers.
Research Skills Help
Learn 360 Videos on Internet Searching.
Internet Search: Basic Tools and Advanced Strategies
Effective Internet Search: Basic Tools and Advanced Strategies
Information Literacy: The Perils of Online Research
Research Skills Visual Guide from Kentucky Virtual Library. Have this digital guide on your desktop.
- Watch this video from Richard Byrne’s blog: “Free Technology for Teachers”to learn more about advanced searching using Google.
- Encourage students to do all research using Explora (Ebscohost) or WorldBook Student version which is suited to middle grades who are learning to research.
When using Google make sure you show your students how to use the Advanced Search option to refine their results. Have your Google filter set as Strict in your settings.
Use Search engines and databases that will help your student search safely.
Research Template for outlining the process.
Teach your students the following lessons shared here:
- Kathy Shrock downloadable worksheets for lesson plans on teaching evaluation skills to students all grades.
- Website Evaluation Process for middle and high school students. From Read Write Think site.
- Web source accuracy. This guides students through the process of using multiple sources to verify source accuracy.
Subscriptions that help with Digital Citizenship
We have access to Passport to the Internet with the ERAC. toolkit The login information is in the username/password document sent out by your support teacher or may be found on Encom under curriculum resources. This is a great interactive site, which allows middle-grade students to make choices and then see whether they would have been safe or not.
Also, check out the WorldBook Student page to find wonderful research lesson plans and resources. This online database comes with our ERAC subscription and is to be accessed in Encom, the school computer system. Go to the top of your parent homepage and log in using the credentials given in the username/password document received from your support teacher.
Explora has wonderful ideas for research including My Folder where you can store all your research, and add citations.
Everfii or Ignition
- This is an engaging and interactive resource to teach your middle-grade students the nuts and bolts of how to use technology in a safe and responsible way
- This course has 7 modules, each approximately 30 minutes in length, covering topics such as: cyberbullying, how to tell if a website is credible, copyright issues, texting and driving, and careers in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math)
- Each module has a pre and post assessment so you can see how your students are doing. Contact Beth Johnson for more information regarding signing up for any of these subscriptions.