Unit Study on Bullying and Digital Citizenship
Digital Citizenship Process for Reducing Risk with Social Media and Privacy
Before your students use social media have them watch the following video from Friendly Screens animation. This will help with privacy issues.
Disney video to learn about online safety.
Or if you enjoy Garfield, check out these videos which will have your students grades 1-5 learning about stranger safety online.
Webonauts Internet Academy from PBS gives students in the 8-10 category a gamified environment whilst teaching digital citizenship and media literacy skills.
- Encourage your younger students in grades K-4 to engage in 21st century tools like subscriptions Reading Eggs and Pebble Go , WorldBook and Explora Primary where they can learn safely with limited access.
- Teach privacy skills including Privacy Pirates: An interactive Unit on Online Privacy. MediaSmarts.ca
- Teach Representing Ourselves Online MediaSmarts.ca
- Once your student has some confidence researching, move to an interactive but restrictive website like Kidblog with limited audience for learning about creating a digital portfolio.
- Study some lesson plans from Powerful Voices for Kids Digital Media and Literacy Education. Click on the Ideas page for lessons on critiquing advertising etc.
Use Search engines and databases that will help your student search safely.
- Learn 360: Life Skills 101 – Media Wise (Grades K-5)
- Discovery Education: Media Literacy – Understand and Analyzing Advertising (Grades 3-5)
- Newspaper Ads Introduction to advertising in newspapers. MediaSmarts.ca
- Once Upon a Time Lesson on Stereotyping. MediaSmarts.ca
- So Many Choices Authenticating Information. MediaSmarts.ca
- Teaching TV: Critically Evaluating TV. MediaSmarts.ca
- CommonSense lesson plans digital citizenship- Digital Passport
- Violence on TV/Movies lesson plan from The Cinematheque.ca
- Healthy Eating lesson plan from The Cinematheque.ca
- Lesson plans using ed tech tools like Popplet and Weebly to cover media literacy in other school topics like social studies, science and L.A.
- FairyTales with a Modern Twist. Association for Modern Literacy