As a parent booking physical books and curriculum for a student, be sure to log in to the Search Portal under your PARENT account. Students cannot book physical items, but they can access the OverDrive Virtual Library, links and subscriptions from their student accounts.
- The Learning Commons offers 10 FREE shipments, (5 round trips sent and returned), per family per school year (August 1 – July 31st) for Registered users. Once the limit is reached, the family is responsible for paying all of the shipping costs.
- The loan period is seven weeks which does NOT include shipping time. You have the FULL seven weeks to use the material!
- Registered families have access to all resources in the physical resources except the Unit Study kits, Maker Education and Special Education Department material; these are not available to registered families. Access includes curriculum, DVDs, fiction, special education general items and supplemental kits.
- Registered families have access to the Digital Kit Guides on our Learning Commons website – these are located directly under the Unit Study Kit description. These may be downloaded and used for your students’ learning.
- There is a limit of 8 media items per order, which includes DVDs, CDs and CDroms.
- Total limit of all items per shipment is 35.
- Lost or damaged items will be charged a fee.
You can renew items online if no one else has put a hold on them and there are no fines on your account, (so renew them before they are overdue!).
You can also delete bookings and modify dates online, just log in to your account and go to the My Account tab.
Change of Address
If you plan to move, or have moved, please update your address in Encom and email Kelly with the update as she needs to update the courier information. If you do not update the learning commons with a change of address and a shipment is sent to the wrong address, you will be charged for the shipping fee and any lost items. We do not receive updates automatically, so it is your responsibility to notify us! This will ensure your order is not lost or delayed due to the wrong address!
To make the most of your shipments:
- Order items in groups for the same date, for one 7 week period
- Do not order one small item (E.g. one CD) at a time
- Book items well in advance – you can book items up to a year in advance, from September to June.
If you live outside of courier service area, we will ship by Canada Post. The family is responsible for paying for the items to be shipped back.
Families are also responsible for paying for postage to return DVDs, CDs and small items that can be sent by lettermail.
Call or e-mail Kelly Wiebe to arrange pick up. 250-862-2377 x311
- Items must be packaged in bubble or tyvek envelopes (save the packaging the items were sent in!)
- NO paper envelopes as they rip too easily. Boxes are also a good choice.
- Items damaged due to poor packaging will be billed to your account.
- Local families, please drop off your items at the campus library. Please be aware that we have classes in the mornings.
- Address for the physical commons is as follows:
HCOS Learning Commons 907 Badke Road, Kelowna, BC V1X 5Z5
To access a complete listing of subscriptions, you will need to log in to the Search Portal. To find the passwords for various subscriptions, choose the Subscriptions icon in the menu along the top. This will take you to the Subscriptions page, which has the subscriptions links, usernames and passwords, or information where you can find them.
Registered homeschool patrons have access to the DIGITAL Unit Study Kits, but NOT the PHYSICAL Unit Study Kits.