STEAM Gr. 6 – 9 Overview
STEAM Integration Using Subscriptions Gr. 6 – 9
BrainPOP’s STEM collection highlights topics from Energy Sources and Digital Animation to Electric Circuits and Statistics. Lesson plans for these topics and more are all included in this STEM lesson plan collection. Use these lesson plans and games to take children to the world of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics!
You can search the BrainPOP site https://www.brainpop.com/ for STEM topics. Try BrainPOP’s Creative Coding for coding projects (you must sign up through your teacher’s My BrainPOP roster in order to do this).
Log in at http://codebc.ca/. Choose the grade level or resource. Then comes the part you’ll especially like: on the right-hand side navigation, you can choose resources according to your own skills and knowledge in coding. “Technical Skills” in the Resource Search menu below is described as, “Sort resources by the required technical skills of the user. This can help you find resources for students and teachers with differing levels of expertise.”
Choosing Resources from the menu at the top offers pages and pages of coding programs and games, including such things as a Free Code Camp http://codebc.ca/resource/freecodecamp/.
For Discovery Education STEM go to https://teachers.discoveryeducation.ca/discovery-education-stem/ Teachers and parents will find information on:
- STEM Camp
- STEM Career Challenges
- STEM Strategies that Work
- STEM Partner Programs
- STEM Blog
- #DESTEMChat Archives
What is STEM Teaching and Learning?
In a STEM learning environment, powerful critical thinking and exploration practices as well as commonly used inquiry best practices drawn across disciplines and connected by a common or transdisciplinary theme allow students to:
- Ask and solve deep real world questions
- Collaborate with their peers and experts
- Arrive at meaningful conclusions through transdisciplinary inquiry
- Explore 4C’s skills tied to STEM careers
“The idea of transdisciplinary literally means beyond all the disciplines but connected to all the disciplines by a unifying issue or topic of inquiry.”
– Basarab Nicolescu “The Transdisciplinary Evolution of Learning”
EverFi offers courses with many and varied topics for our students. Here are their STEM Exploration courses:
- Future Goals – Hockey Scholar for Grades 5-8 EVERFI’s Hockey Scholar course, with both a math and science edition, leverages highly interactive gameplay and the sport of hockey to reinforce key concepts like scientific thinking and data analysis, exposing students to foundational STEM concepts through real-life applications.
- Ignition – Digital Literacy for Grades 6-9 The four-hour curriculum, designed for students in grades 6 – 9—informs students about how technology works and provides an introduction to STEM careers. In addition to the modules, students apply their learning in virtual environments, demonstrating their mastery of issues such as privacy, security, cyberbullying, conducting online research, digital relationships, and the viral nature of the web.
- Endeavour – STEM Career Exploration for Grades 6-9: Inspires students to tie individual interests to high-demand STEM careers through online simulations they can relate to.
- NFTE Venture – Entrepreneurial Expedition for Grades 7-10: Students start their own food truck business, and learn to write a business plan, hire a team, hone their pitch, and balance a budget in the process.
Gizmos https://www.explorelearning.com/ for grades 3-12 provides students with the opportunity to participate in inquiry while working through simulations. Teacher and student materials are included with each gizmo.
Learn 360 https://learn360.infobase.com/p_login.aspx has tons of science experiments, with hands on, interactive videos for science and math.
The series “STEM Careers in Two Years” takes students through the available careers offered via STEAM. This four-part series shows that rewarding, well-paid jobs in several STEM industries are attainable with only two years of training. Each episode features three case studies, all focusing on employees who were hired after completing associate’s degrees, certifications, or apprenticeships.
Mystery Science is a site with “open-and-go lessons that inspire kids to love science”, geared to grades K-5.
- Hands-on — lead students in the doing of science and engineering.
- Less prep, more learning — prep in minutes not hours. Captivate students with short videos and discussion questions.
- Easy to use – made for teachers by teachers. Homeschooling parents can use this site easily, as well.
Every lesson begins with a Mystery that hooks your students. Then there is narration of an unforgettable story with stunning images and videos, and punctuated with opportunities for discussion. Every lesson concludes with simple hands-on activities designed to use supplies you already have (or are easy to get).
“At Mystery Science, our mission is to help children stay curious… We believe that if you take a child’s questions seriously and help them to investigate, their natural curiosity will develop into a scientific perspective on the world. This ability to think scientifically is fundamental to any career or subject a child chooses to pursue as an adult. It’s the ability to look at a question or problem, systematically investigate and collect evidence, and come to an independent conclusion.”
Pebble Go Next https://www.pebblegonext.com/ offers middle grade students the perfect landing spot for STEM-related activities. Apart from the games, question of the day and amazing experiments to try, click on “The Field of Science” and discover Jobs in Science and Science and Engineering Practices.
Science and Engineering Practices
SAS Curriculum Pathways https://www.curriculumpathways.com/portal/ has numerous math and science lesson plans for K-12 which cover science/STEAM standards.
Log in to World Book to find many STEAM resources. For example, Science Power is a lovely addition to World Book. Grade K-6 students may use to accomplish science standards aligned with BC curriculum. Students can find information by topic, textbook or l exile measure. The science lab includes experiments, extension activities, critical thinking and graphic organizers as well as the popular Ask a Scientist feature!
Tynker’s collection of life science projects lets you seamlessly integrate coding and project-based learning into your existing curriculum. Each STEM lesson walks students through step-by-step instructions to ensure students comprehend the subject matter and enjoy the learning process.