Kidblog offers our younger students a scaffolded online environment for writing and sharing their learning in a global and collaborative approach.
Students using our HCOS kits will often see suggestions of ways in which they can present their learning in writing. Kidblog is regularly recommended in our kits as a way to do that.
Signing up for a seat in Kidblog is done through use of a join-code and login through a special link. For students to sign up in their support teacher’s roster, they will get the join-code and URL from that teacher. For students to be signed up with their parent’s own roster, they will receive the join-code and URL from their parent.
If students are already signed up in Kidblog, to join another class they will log in to their own site, then under “Enter a Join Code”, they will fill in the new join-code, which will automatically add them to the new site or class.
IMPORTANT: Once the student account has initially been created (via join-code or manually) the student *will not* use a join-code to set up an account again. Instead, the student should log in to his/her account *first* and then, if needing to join another Kidblog class, should enter the join-code from their user dashboard. This process will attach their student account to several classes, ensuring all of this student’s content, class-to-class, year-over-year, is kept under one account.
1. Students Signing up in Their Support Teacher’s Roster
For parents to get their children started with this subscription, please contact your support teacher to add them to their Kidblog roster.
2. Parents Having Their Own Kidblog “Classroom”
3. Parents Visiting The Support Teacher’s Kidblog “Classroom”
- If parents are added as “Guests” to teachers’ classes in HCOS, depending on the class’ privacy settings, they will be able to view and comment on all students’ posts within the class. Individual teachers may invite parents into the class as guests.
- Parents added under the “Parent” role will be tied directly to their child’s student portfolio. This allows the parent to view all of their child’s posts from multiple classes (including year-over-year), but they will not be able to view posts made by other students in other classes. Students may invite their parents or guardians to view their portfolios via their Dashboard by entering the parent’s email. The parent will then receive an email with instructions to connect with their child.
For more information on the role of “Parents” and “Guests” in Kidblog, view the tutorial here: Parents and Guests in Kidblog.
To get a join-code and teacher/parent instructions, please contact Beth Johnson.
Teachers may also choose Kidblog as a secure site for their regular, weekly communications with their families and students. Note: HCOS teachers should be aware that Kidblog is an American subscription, so you need to get parents’ permission before adding their students to your student roster in Kidblog.
You can register for Kidblog webinars.
Kidblog is working on creating and adding “How To” videos to their Help Centre and YouTube channel. You can access their YouTube channel to see them.
Kidblog Webinar with Laura Kniffin from Kidblog, held on October 12, 2018