Gizmos are interactive math and science simulations for grades 3-12. Over 400 Gizmos aligned to the latest standards help educators bring powerful new learning experiences to the classroom. Gizmos use an inquiry-based approach to learning that has been validated by extensive research as a highly effective way to build conceptual understanding. Gizmos meets the requirements of inquiry-based learning as described in the new BC curriculum.
Interactive design allows for extensive manipulation of variables and “what-if” experimentation.
Visualizations and graphing tools help capture and compare results from experiments.
In-depth activities create more moments to explore, discover and apply new concepts.
You may view the various Gizmos by clicking on the “Go to Gizmos” button above, and choosing “Find Gizmos”.
Check out the Shared Gizmo Lists under Parent Resources.
- To find the class code which allows you to access the Gizmos for a particular grade, parents should email Beth Johnson and ask for the Gizmos information. You will be given a list of class codes, logins for the parent account, and links to the shared Gizmos lists, along with instructions for setting up your student accounts.
- Log in to Gizmos at the Login link in the right-hand corner at Gizmos Login. Enter the class code in the screen that will open up, and proceed to set up your own account with username and password of your choice. If you include an email address, the site will be able to send your login to you if you forget it.
Remember, you are welcome to sign up to use Gizmos in more than one grade if you like. You can go where your interest leads you!
Setting Up a Gizmos Account
The following document will give you instructions for setting up a student account in Gizmos: How to Sign up in Gizmos – Students.
We have a new class for Gr. 10-12 using the new “STEM Cases” Gizmos available: Enzymes, Evolution, Photosynthesis. You can see these by going to the Shared Gizmo List (to show you the Gizmos and give you a few minutes to use them).
About STEM Cases
Students assume the role of a scientist trying to solve a real world problem. They use scientific practices to collect and analyze data, and form and test a hypothesis as they solve the problem.
- Each STEM Case uses real-time reporting to show live student results.
- STEM Cases take between 30 – 90 minutes for students to complete, depending on the case.
- Each STEM Case level has an associated Handbook. These are interactive guides that focus on the science concepts underlying the case.
1. How to Use the Parent Account in Gizmos
For parents wanting to find answer keys, worksheets, vocabulary lists, etc, please read How to Use the Parent Account in Gizmos.
2. Shared Gizmo Lists
To find out which Gizmos are available in each grade we have set up in the site, go to the Shared Gizmo Lists document. Clicking on the link in any grade in the document will take you into Gizmos and allow you to use the Gizmo for a few minutes. PARENTS MAY CHOOSE ANY GRADE OR SUBJECT IN GIZMOS, ACCORDING TO THEIR STUDENT’S INTEREST. (I.e. a student may sign up for several grades) The Shared Gizmo Lists are public domain and may be shared with anyone.
Teachers who would like to set up their own class in Gizmos should email Beth Johnson for the registration key to do so. Be sure to set up a Shared Gizmo List for your class. You can use any Shared Gizmo List to create your own class very easily.
Gizmos correlations may be found at this page by choosing “Subscriptions Correlations” and scrolling down to the Gizmos tab. You will also find lists of suggested Gizmos for Math and Science that can be used with K-2 students.