An overview of the features of the Learning Commons and how to access resources such as the Search Portal, physical resources, eBooks and audiobooks, subscriptions, Unit Study Kits and more!
- OverDrive: Intermediate Resources – includes an introduction on how to use OverDrive (2018)
- Half hour Overdrive workshop (2017) with Pippa and Cynthia
- OverDrive eLibrary webinar (2017) with Pippa and Natalie, one-hour length
- A brief overview of the Overdrive eLibrary by Pippa Davies: Vimeo video
OTHER OVERDRIVE VIDEOS
School library patron overview using the apps and desktop https://cc.readytalk.com/cc/playback/Playback.do
School library Overdrive website: http://help.overdrive.com/#videos?slwo
OverDrive Read: http://help.overdrive.com/#videos?odread
Adobe Digital Editions: http://help.overdrive.com/#videos?ade
iOS devices: http://help.overdrive.com/#videos?ios
- Introducing LEARN360, Infobase’s Premier K-12 Streaming Multimedia Resource (Jan 22, 2019) An introduction to Learn360, our award-winning multimedia streaming resource for K-12, including finding Christian resources available in the site.
- Using Research Subscriptions (November 27, 2018) How to find subscriptions login info; how to use 3 research subscriptions: PebbleGo (Gr. K-3), World Book Student (Gr. 5-8) and EBSCOhost Explora Secondary (Gr. 8-12).
- Kidblog Webinar (October 12, 2018) How to set up your student roster and encourage students to blog using Kidblog
- Reading Eggs webinar (Nov. 2017) Fill in your name and email, and the recorded video will open up for you to view
- Using Tynker webinar with Daniel Rezac from Tynker (Oct. 2017) for you to download
- “Subscriptions for Elementary Student Research” (2017) with Beth and Pippa; 3/4 hour
- Subscriptions webinar from Inquiry perspective (2017) half hour with Pippa and Beth
- “Unit Study Kits: What They Are and How to Use Them” with Pippa and Cynthia
- New BCEdPlan Curriculum Lunch n Learn webinar (one hour) with Bruce, Pippa, and Natalie (March 4th, 2016)
- New curriculum web tour and Overdrive resources with Pippa and Natalie (Oct. 2016)
- BC Curriculum The Why 4 minute video Bruce Hildebrandt see here
- BC Edplan The Why 4 minute video Pippa Davies. See here
- Indigenous Perspectives with Denise. Hour-long webinar (2018)
- First Peoples Inclusion in BCEdPlan Bruce Hildebrandt. Watch this video here
- First Peoples Resources in Overdrive and L4U by Pippa Davies 4 minutes; video here
- Inquiry-Based Learning and resources video by Pippa. See here
- MakerEd STEAM learning by Pippa. See here
3D Printing Basics with Steve Bastian
February 19th, 2019
3D Printing? Have you wondered how it works? What do you need to get started? What is easy and free software that kids can use? We’ll show off some free design software, discuss some of the basics of 3d printing and places where there are 3D printers available to have your project made.
Introducing LEARN360, Infobase’s Premier K-12 Streaming Multimedia Resource
January 22, 2019
Using Research Subscriptions – November 27, 2018
(1) How to find our subscriptions usernames and passwords. (2) How to use our research subscriptions: (a) PebbleGo (Gr. K-3), (b) World Book Student (Gr. 5-8) and (c) EBSCOhost Explora Secondary (Gr. 8-12).
SeeSaw with Mark Lamden – October 23, 2018
Helping Students Love to Write with Kidblog – October 12, 2018
Join us to find out how to get your students excited about writing! Learn from Laura Kniffin, our Kidblog presenter, how to use Kidblog. This video is for teachers and parents who have Kidblog rosters.
OverDrive ebook Library – October 9, 2018
In this webinar, you will be empowered with tools to access curriculum and resources on OverDrive through our new Learning Commons website and Search Portal. You’ll discover how to find curriculum for all grades and subjects, and how to access our curated OverDrive eBook lists aligned with BC’s Big Ideas and Learning Standards. Plus, we will show you how to use the new OverDrive SORA App which will make eBooks even more accessible to you and your students. Presented by Pippa Davies and Cynthia Duncalfe.
Learning Commons Website and Search Portal – September 2018
Join Shandra Wiebe, Pippa Davies, and Cynthia Duncalfe, as they walk you through our new Learning Commons Search Portal and website. We’ll show you how to find the resources you need, and the ins and outs of booking physical items.
- Research/Digital Citizenship Skills for High School Students Pippa Davies (2016)
- Google docs, forms, apps with Google teacher Kathy Kanda. All ages. Perfect for newbies to Google drive (2016)
- Exploring MakerEd with Natalie and Pippa (2015)
- Highlighting the Subscriptions with Natalie Sing and Beth Johnson (2015)
The latest from our Blog …
SECRET SANTA PROJECT! It’s that time of year again! For those of you who have never played this game as part of the HCOS Learning Commons, Secret Santa is a fun card/gift exchange. To play, you sign up to send someone a card/gift worth about $5. Send me your contact information by filling out the Google form (linked below) between now and December 1st. If you have any [...]
Good news! Not all of the physical unit studies are booked out! We have some wonderful unit studies available right now and into January, so if you couldn't book them earlier, try again! Some units are fully booked for the year, but if you are local to Kelowna or within 2 shipping days, we can sometimes squeeze in a shorter loan period. Just contact us and ask us to check if there is availability. [...]